Malta Forum Archived Posts
Newsgroups > Malta Forum Archived Posts > mnr.maltaforum How To Post Messages

Index: thread | date Previous Message   |  Next Message

Re: Why Is Maltese Government So Corrupt And Fooling The Maltese People?

In article <6sch5v$8sq$1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Simon Delicata
(romulus@xxxxxxxx) wrote:
>I`ve come to notice that this upcoming election is just a "TIT FOR
>TAT" campaign. The people running for political positions seem to
>care more for themselves than the Maltese people. Why is it that such
>a small island with less than 400,000 people, who by the way are all
>of the same nationality,(not like the USA where you have conflicts
>because of ethnic background), cannot unite its people to make sure
>that the elected government is kept responsible to its people? Why is

I think it's good to read the Bishops' pastoral letter on the subject
of
the elections. This is the text in English. It can be found at the
url http://cwebdesign.com/bishops/pastoral.html. I feel it reflects
your comments in a sincere way.

THE ARCHBISHOP, Mgr Joseph Mercieca, and the Bishop of Gozo, Mgr Nikol
Cauchi, in a joint pastoral
                 letter being read in all churches last Sunday (23rd
August 1998), urge voters to "choose responsibly" at the
                 general elections being held on September 5, adding
that citizens had the right and the duty to vote.
                 This is the full text of the pastoral letter:

                 The Church is recognising ever more the sense of
responsibility which everyone should show in one's personal
                 development and in the building up of a more just
society. This means that every person of goodwill, and
                 especially Christians, should make good use of one's
freedom in the various choices one has to make in the
                 course of one's life. The good use of personal
freedom in the choices a Christian has to make means that the
                 Christian should be a witness of Christ by choosing
what is good for oneself and for society and keep away
                 from what causes physical or moral harm.

                 Christ's Teachings

                   Precisely to help you make these good choices, we
have from time to time spoken to you on what is good
                 according to Christ's teachings as communicated to us
by the Church, and on what is bad and harmful.
                 For instance, in accordance with the teachings of
Christ and of his Church, we ahve recommended honesty,
                 the promotion of social justice, the unity of the
family based on marriage as instituted by God, and the full
                 education of children.
                 Because we believe in the diginity of the human
person, created to God's image, in the past we have insisted,
                 and continue to insist, that man comes before money,
that work with dignity comes befor earnings, and that
                 effective respect towards the suffering should come
before profit. On the other hand, as was indeed proper,
                 whenever we felt the need, we disapproved of and
spoke against violence, injustices, corruption, all kinds of
                 theft, exploitation of young people especially
through drug trafficking, child labour, sex before and outside
                 marriage, models of the family which are not
according to God's plan, divorce, and other forms of moral
                 disorder.
                 With regard to what is beneficial and what is harmful
to the family, we also spoke clearly. For example, in last
                 year's pastoral letter on the occasion of the feast
of Our Lady's Assumption, we said: "We would not be
                 striving for the common good and for the highest
interest of our motherland if we were to introduce into our
                 country models of marriage and the family which, as
experience has shown, result in social disorder in the very
                 countries which adopted them. God wills that marriage
be between one man and one woman till death, and,
                 deep in our hears, we all realise how true this is."

                 We also said: "The suffering of those whose marriage
fails and who end up separated, with all the
                 consequences this brings about, justly asks for
adequate protection, even by means of proper legislation, for
                 those who are suffering through no fault of their own
as well as for their children."
                 We have given all this importance to the family,
because we believe that the good of the individual and good
                 order in the country depened on the family and on the
formation one expects to receive from it.
                 On various occasions, we have mentioned how important
it is for the Christian, in one's private and public life,
                 to make wise choices in the light of Christ's
teachings.
                 We have also insisted that courage is needed to do
one's duty as a Christian; even if this sometimes means that
                 one has to act against the opinions of one's friends,
group or party.

                                                       A right and a
duty

                 Now that general elections are approaching, we would
like to remind you again that to vote is not only a right,
                 but also a duty. This is more and more so in our
times. In a democratic society, our votes gives power to the
                 persons who will mould the Maltese society of the
future.
                 For this reason, those who have the right to vote
should make their choice according to a well-formed
                 conscience, with a sense of responsibility, and with
love towards their native land.
                 All of us should have the courage not to give in to
the temptation, when voting, to prefer personal interests or
                 those of our group to what is in the proper interest
of our country.
                 The voter should see and judge properly, in sincerity
and goodwill, which political proposals and which
                 candidates offer the most credible and sound choice
so that the highest common good may be truly promoted
                 and safeguarded.
                 The voter should strive so that the running of the
country may be entrusted to politicians who are known to be
                 honest and people of integrity, proposing programmes
that are truly good and beneficial for all the people they
                 will be representing.
                 The voter should also endeavour to support those
politicians who, even at the cost of personal sacrifices,
                 develop their call to politics into an ongoing
commitment in favour of man in his totality, according to the will
                 of the Creator.

                                                      A Sense of
Respect

                 We wish and recommend that everything be done in a
sense of mutual respect and as befits a mature country.
                 One must ensure observance of the law during the
elections themselves, as well as before and after.
                 Above all we recommend prayers so that the Lord may
protect the people of our islands and give them leaders
                 who in all honesty strive for the complete good for
all.
                 We impart our pastoral blessings to you as a pledge
of heavenly favours.

Copyright

HTML Design & Coding is Copyright © 1996-2004 Clyde Meli